This CPD Certification Service accredited course is for practice nurses who are new to taking cervical samples. The course consists of a two day theoretical course, practical training on a manikin, a visit to a pathology laboratory and a colposcopy clinic followed by a period of supervised practice with the support of a mentor in practice.
In order to achieve competence in cervical sampling the students must complete all aspects of the course and have their competence in cervical sampling formally assessed.
- Anatomy and physiology
- Pathology and link to HPV
- The NHS cervical screening programme
- The consultation process
- Visualising the cervix and taking a sample
- Associated findings when taking a sample
- Record keeping and documentation
- Confidentiality, infection control and health and safety
- Sample screening within the laboratory