This course is accredited by the CPD Certification Service.
This course is for nurses and HCAs and is designed to provide them with the knowledge and skills needed to perform spirometry accurately. Students will need to bring a spirometer to the training course for the practical session.
- Anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system
- Indications for spirometry
- Lung volumes and explanation of measurements used in spirometry
- Preparation and maintenance of equipment including cleaning and disinfection
- Patient preparation and contraindications
- The test procedure
- Practical session
The course is suitable for those who already perform spirometry in general practice and require an update and also clinicians who want a refresher prior to applying to commence the ARTP certificate. By 2021 it is recommended that all staff recording spirometry are assessed and certified as being competent against ARTP standards and on the national spirometry register. This course does not include ARTP assessment and registration but details of how to obtain certification will be discussed at the end of the day.