This CPD Accredited course is suitable for those wishing to provide phlebotomy with their practice.
All delegates will require named mentorship from a competent phlebotomist in the surgery.
All candidates must have the Hep B immunisation as they will not be able to start their supervised practice in order to complete their competency.
Although some practical experience is gained on the manakin, this day essentially gives the underpinning knowledge needed to start venipuncture under the supervision of a mentor in the surgery.
- Venepuncture within the wider context of communication, legal and professional issues in healthcare.
- Circulation of the blood, its content and the position of the veins and other related anatomy within the upper limbs
- The need for venepuncture and the appropriate veins to access
- Demonstration of the procedure using a manikin arm
- student practice on the manikin arm.
- Possible complications/risks and infection/safety precautions