Please note: Day one of this training will be online. On day two, students will be required to attend this training in person. This will take place at the EQUIP offices in Witham. Further details will be provided in due course.
This CPD Certification Service accredited course is for practice nurses who are new to taking cervical samples. The course consists of a two-day theoretical course, practical training on a manikin, a visit to a pathology laboratory and a colposcopy clinic followed by a period of supervised/indirect supervised practice with the support of a mentor in practice. In addition, there will be an external assessor that will undertake a final clinical assessment.
In order to achieve competence in cervical sampling, the students must complete all aspects of the course and have their competence in cervical sampling formally assessed. Upon completion, you will be issued with a certificate of competence which will then enable you to take smears independently.
- Anatomy and physiology
- Pathology and link to HPV
- The NHS cervical screening programme
- The consultation process
- Visualising the cervix and taking a sample
- Associated findings when taking a sample
- Record keeping and documentation
- Confidentiality, infection control and health and safety
- Sample screening within the laboratory