This course is accredited by the CPD Certification Service.
The aim of the course is to provide students with the knowledge and skills they require to undertake venepuncture in general practice.
The one day course consists of:
- A theory and practical skills. This is then followed by a period of supervised practice with a nurse mentor. A competency assessment package will be provided.
- Please note the workshop takes place in person at the EQUIP training offices in Witham, Essex
All students need to have the full course of hepatitis B vaccination before starting the course in order to complete the practical competency.
- Legal and professional issues
- The composition of blood
- Anatomy and physiology of blood circulation
- Common blood tests.
- Venepuncture technique including a practical session
- Health and safety
- Infection control
- Complications of venepuncture and how to prevent them