This course is designed for HCAs who are new to wound care . The course aims to enable HCAs in general practice to obtain the knowledge and skills they need to perform wound care and remove sutures/staples.
The course consists of one study day followed by a period of supervised practice with a nurse mentor. A competency assessment package will be provided.
- The role of the HCA in wound care.
- Anatomy and physiology of the skin.
- Wound classification.
- Holistic wound assessment.
- Wound healing and infection.
- Wound management.
- Dressing choice and application.
- Removal of sutures and staples